Let's peel back these layers!

Image
juliannlaw Here is a closeup of the endpapers in my debut picture book, THE WORKD’S LONGEST SOCK. I work digitally in Adobe Photoshop but the program doesn’t do it all for me! I knit all the pixels by hand! Haha! I do have things I do to help me work quickly and efficiently, though, like using layers. Here you get to see me take off those layers one by one till we are back at nothing but a background. The World's Longest Sock is now available on  Amazon ,  Barnes and Noble ,  Target , or wherever you  buy books !

another post about baby quilts

I know, I know. . . I'm always posting baby quilts. But that's my THANG. . . you have to know that by now. I LOVE making baby quilts. . . I've never duplicated one. I love making them each as unique and different as the babies and families I make them for.

This first one is for baby Livi. The little tag at the bottom is a scrap of Japanese fabric as a special shout-out for her mom, April, who is not only my friend but a fellow Japan-o-phile and taught me this little trick of using little fabric swatch accents. . .

And this one is for little baby Alden who has yet to make his arrival. . . I know, strange for me to have a quilt done AHEAD of time, they're usually late! But we had an early shower for his soon-to-be-mommy, Kate, when she was in town recently. The rugby stripes are a shout-out to soon-to-be-daddy, Eric, who played rugby for the well-known Highland High Rugby Team.
The back fabric is another piece I bought when I was in Tokyo a year or so ago. The front gray is actually a sheet. . . if you ever can't find solid colors you like at the fabric store, go to Target or someplace with bedding on sale. Sheets and bed linens seem to be more current with fashionable color choices than Joann's does. Seriously. Why is it the solids are all so bright and garrish? Plus the bed sheets have a higher thread count so the fabric feels so much softer and is so much more luxurious. (In fact, the cream color of Livi's quilt is also a sheet. . .)
Anyhow, I've got a couple more in the works, so stay tuned.

Comments

katherine said…
lovely quilts jul.


go rams.
Jenni said…
Just adorable!!! Seriously, I've said it before but I'll say it again...one of the most fun things about having babies (well, it was fun--now we're done having them) was getting a special quilt from you for each one. I TREASURE those three quilts and use them all the time. You're so talented! And super smart trick using the sheets...never thought about that!
Lady G said…
as soon as Lady G gets pregnant, she'll be paying you one of your unique creations...

Popular posts from this blog

another idea for valentine's day

if these old walls could speak. . .

hospital buddies