The project my daughters did with me!



Here's something I'm rather proud of. . . I have raised two successful babysitters.



When they were starting out babysitting, I was as nervous as they were! What if something happens? Will they have to cook? What if the kids are hard to handle? I went over instructions with them right until they walked out the door. I canceled my plans and stayed home in case they called for help. When they got home, I'd want all the details and then go over what to do for next time.

They got better and better with each job and my nerves calmed down when I realized they were great babysitters who knew how to keep kids safe AND have fun with them at the same time. Hearing from friends and neighbors what awesome babysitters my daughters are made me so proud!
 

But now they are getting older and getting different jobs, and spending more weekend nights with friends rather than babysitting, they're ready to pass the torch on to younger babysitters. We had the idea to put together a guide/kit to help others learn from their experience!

My daughters and I brainstormed the questions a first-time babysitter might have, the situations that can feel intimidating, and the kinds of activities that keep kids entertained. The stories and tips started coming together to create a fun and practical printable guide.


This family collaboration became The Beginner Babysitting Survival Guide, a printable PDF designed for new babysitters. . . tweens, and teens preparing for their first babysitting jobs. It's filled with good information, helpful checklists, activity ideas, and tips to help young babysitters feel prepared and confident. Advice for keeping children amused, communicating with parents, and remembering important safety information, the guide is meant to be a resource kids will go to again and again. 

We looked at information that is out there, and loved tips from creators on YouTube and other websites (Safe Sitter®). But for ease of use and less screen time, we thought a printable format was our best bet, plus my design background made this the obvious choice.

We also wanted it to be something that parents and grandparents would feel good about giving as a gift. Learning to babysit is often a first step toward independence, responsibility, and even entrepreneurship. There's something special about watching young people discover that by working hard and developing skills they can earn money.

Creating this project with my daughters was a really fun summer project. And as they are growing up and taking their next steps, turning their experiences and thoughts into a beautiful final product took time, grit, iteration and teamwork and will forever be a meaningful, memorable endeavor for us all.

I've promised all proceeds from this guide go directly toward their education and will be placed in their college savings accounts. Speaking of money, we even included a page about "Getting Paid without Feeling Awkward"



If you have a tween or teen who's thinking about babysitting, or you're looking for a thoughtful gift for a future babysitter, take a look at the guide in my Etsy shop.

You can find The Beginner Babysitting Survival Guide here:

The Beginner Babysitting Survival Guide on Etsy

I'd also love to hear from you in the comments. How old were you when you got your first babysitting job? Do you remember if you felt prepared or completely unprepared? How about when your kids started babysitting? Did you feel some anxiety about them being responsible for other humans?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

another idea for valentine's day

hospital buddies