Let's peel back these layers!

juliannlaw Here is a closeup of the endpapers in my debut picture book, THE WORKD’S LONGEST SOCK. I work digitally in Adobe Photoshop but the program doesn’t do it all for me! I knit all the pixels by hand! Haha! I do have things I do to help me work quickly and efficiently, though, like using layers. Here you get to see me take off those layers one by one till we are back at nothing but a background. The World's Longest Sock is now available on  Amazon ,  Barnes and Noble ,  Target , or wherever you  buy books !

Well, they started out cute. . .

We have a favorite bib from a popular (and expensive) kids' store that we use almost everyday. I decided to copy the pattern (sort of) and make a couple more for Lucy. I thought it was a good chance to use some of my fabric stash and try out the iron on vinyl stuff you can get at the material store that makes any fabric into an oilcoth, basically.

Step 1: Iron on vinyl stuff, no problems. Just followed the directions and the fabric looked fantastic.
Step 2: Cut it out. . . Now here is where things started to go awry. I thought to myself, I don't want to have to back this bib with another layer of fabric and do the whole "right sides together" and then turn it inside out thing, I'm just going to bind it. So I cut the exact shape of the bib I was copying rather than allow seam allowance.
Step 3: I should have stopped there, they looked so cute! But no, I went ahead and did a binding, which I cut on the bias and prepared myself just like I do when I'm binding quilts.
Step 4: Attach binding. This is where it all went to pot. those little curves proved impossible for my binding strips. It's puckered and wrinkled and uneven and I'm far too impatient to go back and fix it.
Step 5: Use it. Now this part actually works. Lucy doesn't seem to mind that the binding is sooo sloppy. It's practical but not perfect. Good for home use, but my thoughts of using these as gifts have been dashed.
Next time, I think I'll do the right sides together bit like the original. Here's the basic pattern though if you want to give it a try and let me know if you have better luck!


April said…
those turned out really cute! That vinyl stuff is trickier than it looks... and binding FREAKS me out.
Jenni said…
Love these!!! You're so talented my dear!!!
Anonymous said…
those are so cute!!!! You are just so creative and fun! By the way I love your new hair color!
The Dell Family said…
You are so cute. I can tell you are a perfectionist cause the bid turned out darling and I didn't even notice the mistake until you pointed it out to me. Darling Fabric too!
Unknown said…
Binding stresses me out. I can't figure out how to do it right. So I think you did a great job and I love bibs like that. I have never tried that iron on vinyl so I need to do that.
Audrey said…
They started out cute and ended up absolutely ADORABLE!! What a talent you are...both of you! Never met a more artistic couple in my life!
I have to tell you that my mom has a few of those bibs (the real old school ones) and they are not only cute BUT they are so functional! (wipe em down and dump out the pocket!)
missy said…
And they ended out cute! You are very daring to take on a project like this especially with a one year old roaming about. That's why I just go to Target :), no stress involved.
The Phipps: said…

This post made me feel so much better because I had the hardest time with the curves on those aprons we made at Enrichment. I tried making my own binding too and it turned out terrible!! Thanks for making me feel a tad bit better!


Popular posts from this blog

another idea for valentine's day

if these old walls could speak. . .