The project my daughters did with me!

Image
Here's something I'm rather proud of. . . I have raised two successful babysitters. When they were starting out babysitting, I was as nervous as they were! What if something happens? Will they have to cook? What if the kids are hard to handle? I went over instructions with them right until they walked out the door. I canceled my plans and stayed home in case they called for help. When they got home, I'd want all the details and then go over what to do for next time. They got better and better with each job and my nerves calmed down when I realized they were great babysitters who knew how to keep kids safe AND have fun with them at the same time. Hearing from friends and neighbors what awesome babysitters my daughters are made me so proud!   But now they are getting older and getting different jobs, and spending more weekend nights with friends rather than babysitting, they're ready to pass the torch on to younger babysitters. We had the idea to put together a guide/kit ...

Monet to Picasso Exhibit


Here are some of my favorites pieces at the Monet to Picasso exhibit at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts. Worth going to? Yes, definitely, yes. Especially if you have never seen a Van Gogh or a Monet in person. The colors are so alive and the paint almost jumps off the canvas at you. You'll see why these artists are considered masters AND you'll see how art progressed and transitioned from realistic portraits to enhanced "impressions" of light on everyday scenes to surreal dreamscapes and abstracted forms. Plus, lets be honest, are any of us ever going to "flee to the Cleve" and see these amazing pieces in their place of habitual residence? But hurry! The exhibit is only here till Sept. 21. . .

They are (clockwise from upper left):
  • Amedeo Modigliani, Portrait of a Woman, 1917-1918
  • Odilon Redon, Vase of Flowers, 1905
  • Berthe Morisot, Reading, 1873
  • Vincent Van Gogh, Poplars of St. Remy (pictured below)
  • Claude Monet, The Red Scarf, (reproduction shown below)

Comments

Kristine said…
i've been wanting to go to this! i must go a.s.a.p.
Unknown said…
Wow, thanks for the reminder--otherwise it'd be one of those things I was meaning to do and didn't remember until it was gone! Double-bonus-points for "flee to the Cleve"!
missy said…
Very cool, I wish I could be there to go with you. You're right about seeing paintings in person. There's so much texture and depth that you only see on the original. Did you take Jenn with you?
rudi said…
i also loved Modigliani and Morisot and Monet, the three pics of their's you posted. Such a good ride through the eras.
Jenni said…
That last one with the lady through the windwo is so cool! You guysa lways have such good taste in art! Miss you!
Juliann,

Annie gave me your blog info. Your little family is so cute! This looks like an amazing exhibit. I just missed a post-impressionist exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum while we were in Seattle this summer, and am still sad about it!

Popular posts from this blog

another idea for valentine's day

hospital buddies