Let's peel back these layers!

Image
juliannlaw Here is a closeup of the endpapers in my debut picture book, THE WORKD’S LONGEST SOCK. I work digitally in Adobe Photoshop but the program doesn’t do it all for me! I knit all the pixels by hand! Haha! I do have things I do to help me work quickly and efficiently, though, like using layers. Here you get to see me take off those layers one by one till we are back at nothing but a background. The World's Longest Sock is now available on  Amazon ,  Barnes and Noble ,  Target , or wherever you  buy books !

Monet to Picasso Exhibit


Here are some of my favorites pieces at the Monet to Picasso exhibit at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts. Worth going to? Yes, definitely, yes. Especially if you have never seen a Van Gogh or a Monet in person. The colors are so alive and the paint almost jumps off the canvas at you. You'll see why these artists are considered masters AND you'll see how art progressed and transitioned from realistic portraits to enhanced "impressions" of light on everyday scenes to surreal dreamscapes and abstracted forms. Plus, lets be honest, are any of us ever going to "flee to the Cleve" and see these amazing pieces in their place of habitual residence? But hurry! The exhibit is only here till Sept. 21. . .

They are (clockwise from upper left):
  • Amedeo Modigliani, Portrait of a Woman, 1917-1918
  • Odilon Redon, Vase of Flowers, 1905
  • Berthe Morisot, Reading, 1873
  • Vincent Van Gogh, Poplars of St. Remy (pictured below)
  • Claude Monet, The Red Scarf, (reproduction shown below)

Comments

Kristine said…
i've been wanting to go to this! i must go a.s.a.p.
Unknown said…
Wow, thanks for the reminder--otherwise it'd be one of those things I was meaning to do and didn't remember until it was gone! Double-bonus-points for "flee to the Cleve"!
missy said…
Very cool, I wish I could be there to go with you. You're right about seeing paintings in person. There's so much texture and depth that you only see on the original. Did you take Jenn with you?
rudi said…
i also loved Modigliani and Morisot and Monet, the three pics of their's you posted. Such a good ride through the eras.
Jenni said…
That last one with the lady through the windwo is so cool! You guysa lways have such good taste in art! Miss you!
Juliann,

Annie gave me your blog info. Your little family is so cute! This looks like an amazing exhibit. I just missed a post-impressionist exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum while we were in Seattle this summer, and am still sad about it!

Popular posts from this blog

another idea for valentine's day

if these old walls could speak. . .

hospital buddies