Let's peel back these layers!

Image
juliannlaw Here is a closeup of the endpapers in my debut picture book, THE WORKD’S LONGEST SOCK. I work digitally in Adobe Photoshop but the program doesn’t do it all for me! I knit all the pixels by hand! Haha! I do have things I do to help me work quickly and efficiently, though, like using layers. Here you get to see me take off those layers one by one till we are back at nothing but a background. The World's Longest Sock is now available on  Amazon ,  Barnes and Noble ,  Target , or wherever you  buy books !

a nine patch quilt made for little lu. . .

I'm kind of playing catch-up, here. I've been meaning to post some of the wonderful and beautiful items that were hand-made for Lucy as gifts when she was born.

This is a gorgeous pink and white nine-patch baby quilt made for Lucy by her Gramma Leen, my mom. My mom has always been a terrific quilter and a generous giver and loves to combine these two talents. I think this is where my love of quilting came from. Whenever we're together, we love to visit quilt shops, collect fabric and ideas for quilts and show off our current projects.

As if a hand-made quilt by my mom for my daughter wasn't sentimental enough, this one has extra meaning because we got the idea for it years ago when my mom and dad were down for a visit. We went to the Church Museum together to see an exhibit on Joseph Smith and some of the artifacts that the church has from his life. There was a beautiful little wooden cradle and in it a delicate nine-patch, pink and white baby quilt. We both fell in love with its simplicity and charm and sketched the idea down for the future. . . Bravo, church display people! (My friend Carrie Snow who works at the museum informed me that it was probably not authentically from the Smith family, but was dressing the set to show off some of the other objects that were, but that's ok. It still will remind me of his legacy and our church's humble beginnings.)

Comments

Stephen said…
Such pretty quilts! Your mom is amazing. Most of my first quilting experiences took place in your [parents'] house, back when we were all young women. Your mom was so patient with us, especially those of us who had no idea what we were doing. Actually maybe I was the only one who was hopeless at sewing... considering you and Annie could open a boutique with all the beautiful creations you two make!
Unknown said…
I love it. Your mom made me the cutest little quilt when Teague was born. Homemade gifts are so wonderful!
Unknown said…
OH - and does that picture just kill you - Lucy was so little. How has she possibly grown up so fast? What a cute little girl!

Popular posts from this blog

another idea for valentine's day

if these old walls could speak. . .

hospital buddies