Jake and Sam in the Snowflake Olympic Fountain at the Gateway
Shannon and Jake riding Trax. . .
One of the reasons I haven't been blogging is because my sister and her family all came in to town from Odessa, Texas and we were incredibly busy having fun. We were going every minute. . . in another month, another sister and her fam will be coming from Virginia! I'm so excited, I love hosting and having family!
Here is a list of "Fun Things To Do With Kids In SLC" I put together for them:
- Antelope Island - Take a picnic, see bison. 45 minutes each way. . . annual bison round-up in November. $9 per vehicle.
- This is the Place Park - A glimpse at pioneer life: churn butter, card wool. $8/adults - $6/children (3-11)
- Hogle Zoo - Mountain lions, tigers, bears, oh my! $8/adults - $6/children (but two are free cause we have a membership!)
- Temple Square - Walk the beautiful grounds, look at the beautiful bridal couples (there will inevitably be some there no matter what time of day or what time of year you go!), read plaques about Mormon history, talk to some sister missionaries, you can even go listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir practice on Thursday nights! There is also a free movie about the life of Joseph Smith that shouldn't be missed.
- Dinosaur Museum at Thanksgiving Point - A very good museum, plenty of interactive bits and things kids CAN touch. They also have imax type movies $10/adult $8/children and be ware of Two Dollar Tuesdays. . . the line goes around the building!
- Wheeler Farm - See some farm animals, feed ducks, milk cows at 5:00 - free but bring cash for the extras $1.50 for hayrides, 50¢ to milk cows.
- Hike to Donut Falls or Silver Lake, picnic & s'mores - free
- Gateway - Splash in the Oympic Fountains (bring swimsuits!), walk on the moon at the Clarke Planetarium, eat a Ben's Cookie - free except for the Ben's Cookies, could also see a movie or an Imax movie
- Children's Museum - also at the Gateway, $8.50
- Trax ride to City Library - downtown rides are free, I'd coordinate this with the Temple Square or Gateway visit. Don't miss the comic book store, the glass elevators, and the children's section downstairs where there are fun cubbies along the southeast wall to explore (kids will love the Crystal Cave, Gramma's Attic, and the room full of computers!)
- Backyard Campout
- Fairmont Pool or Holladay Pool - Indoors, with slides and fountains and stuff. . . ,
- Liberty Park or Sugar House Park - Feed ducks, playgrounds, room for frisbees. Pack swimsuits for Liberty Park, there is a fun splash park in the kids area and sometimes a miniature model of the waterways of Utah is on and impossible NOT to climb in and splash around. Free.
- Sweet Candy Factory tour - as much fun for the adults as for the kids. Free with plenty of free samples!
- Bouncin Off the Walls or Bounce U - two places you can pay and go bounce crazy and bounce out any energy that's left after all the other things you've done!